Friday, February 10, 2012

It's Time to Start Gardening!

With large, beautiful snowflakes falling right outside, you may think I've lost my mind, but it's true: I'm planting my garden in February this year. A friend sent me several links on winter sowing, and I'm truly fascinated by the idea. So I've collected a host of milk jugs and have bought my seeds and organic seed-starting soil.



Two types of sweet peppers, two types of tomatoes, parsley, basil, columbine, impatiens, nasturtium, and snapdragons are our choices this year for our annual trial-and-error attempts at starting our plants from seed. I'm also planning to do some seeds indoors under grow lights. It will be fun to compare the success of the ones outside in their little "greenhouses" to the traditional grow light/hardening off method.



Garden reading has also been in the forefront of my mind. Despite my love of cold weather, I'm almost ready for it to get warm so I can work in my strawberry bed, feed the rhubarb, and check off the rest of my growing list of gardening-to-do's. Almost... Since the snow is back, I guess I'll get my gardening fix with the winter sowing and making gardening lists. After all, I have all spring and summer to be outside. This is the time of year to spend free time quilting and reading by the fireplace... :)

1 comment:

Mrs. B said...

Sounds like quite an ambitious undertaking. May you be blessed with fruits of your labors!